Last updated August 14, 2019
WriteFreely, the software that powers this site, is built to enforce your right to privacy by default.
It retains as little data about you as possible, not even requiring an email address to sign up. However, if you do give us your email address, it is stored encrypted in our database. We salt and hash your account's password.
Beyond this, it's important that you trust whoever runs writerfriends.space. Software can only do so much to protect you — your level of privacy protections will ultimately fall on the humans that run this particular service.
Code of Conduct
The Code of Conduct is simple, and we will only add to this section as it becomes necessary. This is part of why we'll be keeping this community small, so that everyone can help one another.
- Absolutely no erotica, pornography, or sexually explicit content, in text or images. If you want to write that there are many places where you can do so. No nudity is allowed in images, even “tasteful” nudity. If your characters are getting up to things let them close the door first. You get one warning before you are removed from the service.
- PG-to-PG-13 level violence in your fiction, no gore, no graphic torture. Again, that's just not what we're here for. This is a friendly place! If that makes you think we're a Young Adult focused group that's fine. If you want really bad things to happen to your characters let's do as the ancient greeks did and have all that heavy stuff happen off stage. Also a “one strike” system.
- PG level language. Foul language is a crutch, and a deterrent. If you want to get your point across to the most people do it in the cleanest language at your command, or make up some truly novel swears. Using profanity and obscenity masks, rather than reveals, your thoughts. In the words of Kurt Vonnegut:
Perhaps the only precept... that I have honored all my adult life is that profanity and obscenity entitle people who don't want unpleasant information to close their eyes and ears to you. ( from Hocus Pocus)
- Concerning any and all forms of bigotry: In non-fiction blogs, or any comments from one member to another: this is your one warning. Because they've done such a good job of it, I'm going to adopt very similar guidelines to those held by mastodon.social:
- The following types of content will be removed, and will result in account suspension and revocation of access to the service:
- Religious discrimination of any sort. All forms of religious and philosophical content is welcome, so long as it does not violate any other part of this code of conduct. Racism couched in religious terms is still racism and will get you removed from the service. The same goes for all other “isms” listed here.
- Racism or advocation of racism
- Sexism or advocation of sexism
- Discrimination against gender and sexual minorities, or advocation thereof
- Xenophobic and/or violent nationalism
- The following types of content are explicitly disallowed and will result in revocation of access to the service:
- Sexual depictions of children
- Content illegal in Germany and/or France, such as holocaust denial or Nazi symbolism
- Conduct promoting the ideology of National Socialism
Any conduct intended to stalk or harass other users, or to impede other users from utilizing the service, or to degrade the performance of the service, or to harass other users, or to incite other users to perform any of the aforementioned actions, is also disallowed, and subject to punishment up to and including revocation of access to the service. This includes, but is not limited to, the following behaviors:
- Continuing to engage in conversation with a user that has specifically has requested for said engagement with that user to cease and desist may be considered harassment, regardless of platform-specific privacy tools employed.
- Aggregating, posting, and/or disseminating a person's demographic, personal, or private data without express permission (informally called doxing or dropping dox) may be considered harassment.
- Inciting users to engage another user in continued interaction or discussion after a user has requested for said engagement with that user to cease and desist (informally called brigading or dogpiling) may be considered harassment.
These provisions notwithstanding, the administration of the service reserves the right to revoke any user's access permissions, at any time, for any reason, except as limited by law.
If you want to write a bigoted character: Be very careful. Huck Finn's dad is a terrible, evil man, and is portrayed as such, so we would allow Mark Twain to keep working on his novel on this site. If you have a bad character who is a racist you're walking a line, and will get a little extra attention. If you are writing a bigoted or otherwise despicable antagonist who turns into a sympathetic anti-hero we will have discussions and you may be asked to hide or remove your story, or to find a different home for your content. This isn't the place for that.
writerfriends.space assumes no copyright whatsoever; the license of each work is left to the author. Each author may copyright their works, or leave them in the public domain, or license them under any open license they see fit.
If there is no notice on a post assume that the post is © the original author.